Position: Boston Red Sox Major League Clubhouse Analyst
Location: Boston, MA
The Boston Red Sox seek an analyst to support the major league coaching staff while working closely with the major league manager, senior analyst in Baseball Analytics, and Advance Scouting department.
This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced, intellectually curious environment and to potentially impact player performance and on-field strategy.
- Statistical modeling and quantitative analysis of a variety of data sources, for the purpose of optimizing on-field player performance and strategic decision-making.
- Effectively present analyses through the use of written reports and data visualization to disseminate insights to members of the major league coaching staff.
- Travel with the major league team throughout the season, including to the Red Sox spring training facility. During the offseason this position will be based in Boston working with Baseball Analytics.
- Maintain working expertise of leading-edge analytics, including publicly available research and novel statistical approaches, in order to recommend new or emerging techniques, technologies, models, and algorithms.
- Other projects and related duties as directed by the major league manager, senior analyst in Baseball Analytics, and other members of Baseball Operations leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical field such as statistics, predictive analytics, data science, engineering, applied math, physics, quantitative social sciences, computer science, or operations research.
- Demonstrated experience with baseball data analysis.
- Advanced understanding of statistical methods or machine learning techniques.
- Proficiency with modern database technologies including SQL.
- Demonstrated experience with programming languages (e.g., R or Python).
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical ideas to non-technical audiences using data visualization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- Demonstrated work ethic, passion for baseball, and strong baseball knowledge, including familiarity with current baseball research and analysis.
- Attention to detail while also having the ability to work quickly and balance multiple priorities.
- Experience working for a major league club preferred.
- Ability to work evening, weekend, and holiday hours is a must.
- Other programming and database skills are a plus.
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject “Clubhouse Analyst.” Please include the following items/answers to the following questions:
- Updated resume
- Example of analysis you’ve done, preferably related to baseball
- What is a project that you believe would add substantial value to a baseball team? Please describe the project and provide an overview of how you would complete it.
Meg is the managing editor of FanGraphs and the host of FanGraphs Audio. Her work has appeared at Baseball Prospectus, Lookout Landing and Just A Bit Outside.