Table of Contents
Here’s the table of contents for today’s edition of the Daily Notes.
Statistical Update on 2013’s First-Round Picks
The Purpose of This Post
The purpose of this post is to announce that the author has updated the custom leaderboard featuring every first-round pick from the most recent draft both to have signed and also played for an affiliate of the relevant drafting team.
New Additions to the Leaderboard
Here are the players who’ve been added to the leaderboard since the second iteration of same in late June (sorted by order picked in draft):
Hyperlink to the Leaderboard in Question
Click this hyperlinked text to view the updated version of the first-rounders batting leaderboard (sorted by weighted runs above average), and this other hyperlinked text for the pitching leaderboard (sorted by FIP).
• The leaderboard now contains 26 of the 33 first-round picks from the most recent draft.
• With regard to very powerful Kris Bryant, the second-overall pick by the Cubs, his debut for Low-A Boise was not marked by what is known on every continent as “maximum success.” In five plate appearances on Tuesday, he struck out five times.
• University of New Mexico product and Seattle draftee D.J. Peterson has demonstrated what’s probably the most impressive offensive ability thus far among first-round draftees, recording walk and strikeout rates of 10.6% and 14.6%, respectively, while also hitting six home runs in 123 plate appearances at Low-A.
• Kansas City’s Hunter Dozier, an infielder out of Stephen Austin State with an impressive combination of size and athleticism, has demonstrated impressive control of the plate (152 PA, 12.5% BB, 10.5% K), albeit as a 21-year-old in the Rookie-level Pioneer League.
• Dodgers draftee Chris Anderson leads all first-round pitchers in innings so far, with 23.0 of them across six starts at Great Lakes of the Class-A Midwest League. Only two other pitchers have reached that level: Mark Appel (Houston) and Jason Hursh (Atlanta).
Today’s MLB.TV Free Game
Pittsburgh at Washington | 12:35 ET
A.J. Burnett (105.2 IP, 82 xFIP-, 1.7 WAR) faces Gio Gonzalez (124.2 IP, 92 xFIP-, 2.0 WAR). Concerning neither of them is this footage from Wednesday night’s game of Pittsburgh’s Pedro Alvarez hitting a home run, which — as of July 15th, at least — is something he does on contact nearly as much as major-league home-run leader Chris Davis:
Readers’ Preferred Broadcast: Washington Radio.
Today’s Complete Schedule
Here’s the complete schedule for all of today’s games, with our very proprietary watchability (NERD) scores for each one. Pitching probables and game times aggregated from MLB.com and RotoWire. The average NERD Game Score for today is 5.1.
Note: the following table is entirely sortable.
|Alex Wood*||ATL||8||8||6||6||2||NYN||Zack Wheeler||12:10|
|A.J. Burnett||PIT||7||7||6||2||7||WAS||Gio Gonzalez||12:35|
|Hiroki Kuroda||NYA||5||3||6||4||9||TEX||Derek Holland||14:05|
|Justin Verlander||DET||6||7||6||1||7||CHA||Jake Peavy||14:10|
|Edinson Volquez||SD||4||6||4||4||4||MIL||Yovani Gallardo||14:10|
|Nathan Eovaldi||MIA||6||1||5||8||3||COL||Juan Nicasio||15:10|
|Erik Bedard||HOU||0||3||3||6||4||TOR||Mark Buehrle||19:07|
|Jer. Hellickson||TB||5||10||7||8||8||BOS||John Lackey||19:10|
|Kyle Kendrick||PHI||3||1||4||4||6||STL||Lance Lynn||19:15|
|Miguel Gonzalez||BAL||4||8||4||7||1||KC||Jeremy Guthrie||20:10|
|Carlos Villanueva||CHN||3||5||4||2||6||AZ||Wade Miley||21:40|
|C.J. Wilson||LAA||5||7||6||6||6||OAK||Dan Straily||22:05|
|Mat Latos||CIN||9||3||6||3||4||LAN||Zack Greinke||22:10|
|Kevin Correia||MIN||2||2||5||6||8||SEA||Hisashi Iwakuma||22:10|
Carson Cistulli has published a book of aphorisms called Spirited Ejaculations of a New Enthusiast.