Position: Miami Marlins Baseball Analytics Intern
The Baseball Analytics Intern will assist Baseball Operations decision-making through the analysis and research of baseball information. The specific day-to-day responsibilities of this position will vary depending on the baseball calendar, but it requires a general knowledge of how to use objective data to answer baseball-related questions, with a strong preference for a candidate possessing an established foundation of statistical and database management skills.
- Perform advanced statistical analysis on large datasets in order to assist in the decision-making of the Baseball Operations department.
- Expand upon existing analytical strategy by improving existing resources and creating new databases, models, and reports.
- Perform ad-hoc research projects as requested and present those results in a concise, straightforward manner.
- Monitor publically available baseball research.
- Provide administrative support and complete general intern duties as requested.
- Understanding of and passion for the game of baseball.
- Ability to communicate baseball analytics concepts to individuals with diverse baseball backgrounds.
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail, and ability to self-direct.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays during the season.
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant practical experience required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Familiarity with current state of freely available baseball research required.
- Knowledge of ball tracking data (e.g. Pitch F/X, TrackMan, etc.) strongly preferred.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL strongly preferred.
- Experience with R statistical software package strongly preferred.
- Experience with at least one scripting language (e.g. Perl, Python, Ruby) a plus.
This position is compensated.
Interested applicants can email their materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.