Department: Baseball Operations
Job Title: Software Development Intern
Reports To: Manager of Baseball Research and Analysis, Manager of Baseball Systems Development
FLSA: Hourly, Non Exempt
Job Purpose: The Cincinnati Reds are currently seeking a Baseball Operations Software Development Intern. This position reports to the Baseball Operations staff and will assist in the development and operation of the department’s player information and evaluation system. This position requires strong statistical, database management, and software development skills and experience, as well as a demonstrated ability for independent thought and for working within a team framework.
– Adhere to Cincinnati Reds organization policies and procedures
– Act as a role model within and outside the Cincinnati Reds organization
– Perform duties as workload necessitates
– Demonstrate flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
– Meet department productivity standards
Duties/Expectations: Responsible for, but not limited to the following:
– Work with Baseball Operations staff to develop and implement statistical and scouting databases and front-end graphical user interfaces
– Design stored procedures and views for baseball operations database systems using Microsoft SQL Server
– Develop applications using Microsoft C# and other relevant tools using industry best practices.
– Participate in the testing that is required before development programs are moved to production.
– Continue to identify features and functions to be incorporated into the baseball operations database system, including solicitation of feedback from Baseball Operations staff to evaluate system and prioritize additions/improvements
– Share responsibility for training staff on use of system, including in-person training and development and maintenance of a reference manual
– Provide ongoing support and troubleshooting of system, including upgrades to take advantage of new technology and data feeds from 3rd party providers
– Potentially develop applications for Apple and Android devices
– Completion of or working toward a degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent
– Ability to design and implement complex database structures using SQL Server tools
– Experience integrating multiple data sources, formats and media into a single application
– Working familiarity with advanced mathematical and statistical concepts, including experience implementing statistical models, simulations, derivations and graphical representations into software applications (Experience with R programming language a plus)
– Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Access and Visual Basic for Applications
– Ability to communicate effectively with all aspects of Baseball Operations, Scouting and Player – Development staffs and understand their job functions and subsequent software needs
– Passion for baseball, strong intellectual curiosity and ability to work within team framework?
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
– This is a seasonal, internship opportunity and no benefits will be provided.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. The above description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Additional duties, as assigned, may become part of the job function. The duties listed above is, therefore, a partial representation not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Have you completed or are you working toward a degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent?
3. Do you have working familiarity with advanced mathematical and statistical concepts, including experience implementing statistical models, simulations, derivations, and graphical representations into software applications?
4. Are you willing and able to relocate to Cincinnati?
David Appelman is the creator of FanGraphs.