Position: Baseball Systems Software Engineer
Location: Chicago, IL
This role will primarily focus on the development and maintenance of the Cubs internal baseball information system, including creating web interfaces and web tools for the user interface; building ETL processes; maintaining back-end databases; and troubleshooting data sources issues as needed.
- Assist in the design and implementation of web interfaces for the Baseball Ops information system
- Develop and maintain ETL processes for loading, processing and quality-checking new data sources
- Identify, diagnose and resolve data quality issues
- Build and/or support mobile-friendly user interfaces and experiences
- Build and/or support web services and business-layer applications that speak to both back-end databases and front-end interfaces
- Provide development support and guidance to Baseball Operations power users and general support to all Baseball Operations front-office and field personnel, as needed
- Examine, and where appropriate, prototype new technologies in the pursuit of creating competitive advantages through software, applications and tools
- Partner with Data Architects and Infrastructure/Operations resources on the Information Technology team to ensure secure, scalable and high-performing applications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Related Quantitative Subjects
- Expertise with modern database technologies and SQL
- Expertise in Python, Java or C#
- Experience with HTML/CSS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of advanced baseball statistics and sabermetric concepts
- Experience with the R programming language
- Experience with Pandas, NumPy and SciPy Python Libraries
- Experience working in a Linux environment
- Experience building web or native applications for mobile devices
- Experience building and supporting ETL processes
To apply, please use this link to complete the online application.
Due to the overwhelming number of applications the Cubs receive, they unfortunately may not be able to respond in person to each applicant. However, they can assure you that you will receive an email confirmation when you apply as well as additional email notifications whether you are selected to move forward for the position or not. Please note, the Cubs keep all resumes on file and will contact you should they wish to schedule an interview with you.
The Chicago Cubs and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusion and employing a diverse workforce. All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, disability, or other legally protected characteristics.
The content in this posting was created and provided solely by the Chicago Cubs.
Meg is the managing editor of FanGraphs, the host of FanGraphs Audio, and the co-co-host of Effectively Wild. Her work has previously appeared at Baseball Prospectus, Lookout Landing, and Just A Bit Outside.