Job Title: Intern, Baseball Analytics
Department: Baseball Operations
Reports To: Director of Analytics
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Job Classification: Hourly/Non-Exempt
The Analytics Intern will assist Baseball Operations decision-making through the analysis and facilitation of baseball information. The specific day-to-day responsibilities of this position will vary depending on the baseball calendar, but will revolve around analyzing and troubleshooting baseball data. A competitive candidate will be an excellent communicator and possess an established foundation of analytical skills. The position will report to the Director of Analytics.
- Facilitate information flows and effectively communicate analytical products across departments.
- Expand upon Marlins analytical strategy by creating new applications and reports.
- Improve and refine existing processes for the Baseball Operations Department.
- Perform ad-hoc research projects as requested.
- Present analysis and research results in a complete, concise, and engaging manner.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail, and ability to self-direct.
- Demonstrated baseball research, experience visualizing data, and/or strong technical acumen.
- Ability to communicate baseball analytics concepts to individuals with diverse baseball backgrounds, including coaches, scouts, and executives.
- Understanding of and passion for the game of baseball.
- High level of familiarity with the current state of baseball research.
- Ability to work extended hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays from February – October 2020.
Suggested Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a field that emphasizes analytical problem solving skills, such as mathematics, computer science, engineering, law, or medicine.
- Understanding of advanced forecasting techniques is strongly preferred.
- Meaningful work experience with Tableau, SQL Server, R, and/or Python is strongly preferred.
- Understanding of the governing documents of Major League Baseball, such as the Official Baseball Rules, is strongly preferred.
- Ability and desire to learn other programming languages as needed.
- Baseball/softball playing experience is a plus.
Please apply with your resume, cover letter, and other supporting materials (relevant past projects) on TeamWork Online here.
The content in this posting was created and provided solely by the Miami Marlins.
Meg is the managing editor of FanGraphs, the host of FanGraphs Audio, and the co-co-host of Effectively Wild. Her work has previously appeared at Baseball Prospectus, Lookout Landing, and Just A Bit Outside.