Title: Analyst, Baseball Research & Development
Department: Baseball Operations
Reports To: Director, Baseball Research & Development
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: San Diego, CA or Remote (Work from Home is accepted)
The Padres are looking to grow their Research and Development team and bring in individuals with a passion for baseball and winning through data-driven decision making. Through both collaborative and individual work, members of their team will impact every part of the R&D process: idea and question generation, data exploration and analysis, development of decision making tools utilizing analyses, and communication of results to decision-makers and other staff. Ideal candidates are those that are excited to challenge the status quo, improve how the Padres organization makes decisions, and contribute to the continual development of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop statistical models and perform general quantitative analysis dealing with player valuation, player development, and strategic decision making.
- Collaborate with other members of the baseball operations department in the development process.
- Investigate ad hoc research projects as requested.
- Effectively present completed projects and communicate new insights to decision makers and other staff.
- Maintain a knowledge of the latest data analysis techniques and data sources to aid in the continual development of the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
Must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree (BA) in a job related area or 2+ years of related work experience.
- Proficiency in computer programming. Experience with R, Python, SQL, and Stan preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems in a data-driven way.
- Creativity to brainstorm new avenues of research for the department.
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail with the ability to balance multiple projects.
- Passion for baseball and familiarity with current baseball research.
- Comfortability with and ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and overtime as needed.
- Consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
- Professional image and demeanor.
- Strong ability to work with others in a collaborative, respectful manner.
- Excellent time management, interpersonal, verbal and written communications, decision-making, and organization skills.
- Minimum physical requirements: able to travel to and gain access to various areas of the ballpark for prolonged periods of time during games and events; able to lift and transport up to 25 pounds.
- As a condition of employment, the job candidate(s) must successfully complete a post-offer, pre-employment background check and drug screening.
To apply, please complete the application, which can be found here. Remote candidates will be considered and are strongly encouraged to apply, though some travel will be necessary.
The San Diego Padres are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The content in this posting was created and provided solely by the San Diego Padres.
Meg is the managing editor of FanGraphs, the host of FanGraphs Audio, and the co-co-host of Effectively Wild. Her work has previously appeared at Baseball Prospectus, Lookout Landing, and Just A Bit Outside.