Position: San Diego Padres Baseball Research and Development Analyst and Intern
Location: San Diego, California
The Padres are looking to grow their Research and Development group by adding an Analyst and Intern who have a passion for baseball and winning through data-driven decision making to their team. Through both collaborative and individual work, members of their team will impact every part of the R&D process: idea and question generation, data exploration and analysis, development of decision making tools utilizing analyses, and communication of results to decision makers and other staff. Ideal candidates are those that are excited to challenge the status quo, improve how the Padres make decisions, and contribute to the continual development of the department.
- Develop statistical models and perform general quantitative analysis dealing with player valuation, player development, and strategic decision making.
- Collaborate with other members of the baseball operations department in the development process.
- Investigate ad hoc research projects as requested.
- Effectively present completed projects and communicate new insights to decision makers and other staff.
- Maintain a knowledge of the latest data analysis techniques and data sources to aid in the continual development of the department.
- Intern: Bachelor’s degree (BA) in a job related area or currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program. Strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, operations research, engineering, or physics.
- Analyst: Bachelor’s degree (BA) in a job related area or 2+ years of related work experience.
- Some experience with computer programming. Experience with R, Python, SQL, and Stan preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems in a data-driven way.
- Creativity to brainstorm new avenues of research for the department.
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail with the ability to balance multiple projects.
- Passion for baseball and familiarity with current baseball research.
- Comfortability with and ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Ability to work evening/weekend/holiday hours.
- Consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
- Professional image and demeanor.
- Excellent time management, interpersonal, verbal and written communications, decision-making, and organization skills.
- Minimum physical requirements: able to travel to and gain access to various areas of the ballpark for prolonged periods of time during games and events; able to lift and transport up to 25 pounds.
To apply, please send an email to BBOpsJobs@Padres.com with the subject “R&D Positions” and include a resume, an unofficial transcript (if you were enrolled in a college degree program within the last three years), and answers to the following questions:
- When would you be available to start?
- Are you planning to attend the 2018 Winter Meetings?
- Where did you learn about this opportunity?
- What is a project you believe would add substantial value to a baseball team? Please describe the project and outline the steps you would take to complete it.
The San Diego Padres are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Meg is the managing editor of FanGraphs, the host of FanGraphs Audio, and the co-co-host of Effectively Wild. Her work has previously appeared at Baseball Prospectus, Lookout Landing, and Just A Bit Outside.