Position: Boston Red Sox Baseball R&D Analyst
Location: Boston, MA
The Boston Red Sox are seeking an Analyst for the team’s Baseball Research & Development department. The role will support all areas of Baseball Operations while working closely with the VP, Baseball Research & Development, and the analysts on the R&D team.
This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced, intellectually curious environment and to impact player personnel and strategic decision making.
- Statistical modeling and quantitative analysis of a variety of data sources, for the purpose of player evaluation, strategic decision-making, decision analysis, etc.
- Effectively present analyses through the use of written reports and data visualization to disseminate insights to members of the Baseball Operations leadership.
- Maintain working expertise of leading-edge analytics, including publicly available research and novel statistical approaches, in order to recommend new or emerging techniques, technologies, models, and algorithms.
- Other projects and related duties as directed by VP, Baseball Research & Development, and other members of Baseball Operations leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical field such as statistics, engineering, applied math, physics, quantitative social sciences, computer science, or operations research.
- Demonstrated experience with baseball data analysis.
- Advanced understanding of statistical methods or machine learning techniques.
- Proficiency with modern database technologies including SQL.
- Demonstrated experience with programming languages (e.g., R or Python).
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical ideas to non-technical audiences using data visualization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- Demonstrated work ethic, passion for baseball, and strong baseball knowledge, including familiarity with current baseball research and analysis.
- Attention to detail while also having the ability to work quickly and balance multiple priorities.
- Ability to work evening, weekend, and holiday hours is a must.
- Other programming and database skills are a plus.
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Analyst”. Please include the following items/answer:
- Updated resume.
- Example of analysis you’ve done, preferably related to baseball.
- What is a project that you believe would add substantial value to a baseball team? Please describe the project and provide an overview of how you would complete it.
Meg is the managing editor of FanGraphs and the host of FanGraphs Audio. Her work has appeared at Baseball Prospectus, Lookout Landing and Just A Bit Outside.