Title: Developer, Baseball Systems
Department: Baseball Operations
Reports to: Director, Baseball Systems
Location: San Diego, CA
Status: Full-time, Exempt
The Developer, Baseball Systems is primarily responsible for designing and developing user interfaces for different personnel in the Baseball Operations Department. This position requires substantial experience with various software programs, in addition to a strong understanding of statistical baseball terminology.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with R&D group to build out best-in-class system infrastructure, including data warehousing, data integrity, lifecycle management of critical statistical processes
- Collaborate with development team and Baseball Operations personnel to design and implement user interfaces across multiple platforms for different audiences
- Create responsive design visualizations to distill and present information using both static reports and interactive user interfaces
- Contribute on all phases of projects, including but not limited to: design, documentation, development, and deployment
- Continued development and enhancement of team workflow and process
- Fluency with SQL and RDBMS design, preferably PostgreSQL, and NoSQL solutions such as Mongo, CouchDB, etc
- Deep Familiarity with the Linux operating system
- Working knowledge of iOS development, including Objective C & Swift
- Familiarity with statistical concepts relevant to baseball, including player evaluation and in-game strategies
- Working knowledge of statistical software, including R & Python data packages such as numpy and pandas
- Proven ability to distill large data sets into tidy, responsive UI designs
Must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (BA) preferably in Computer Science or Information Systems, or equivalent job experience
- Minimum of five (5) years working in a structured software development lifecycle
- Demonstrated passion for baseball
- Proficiency in stated web development technologies
- Consistent, punctual and regular attendance
- Professional image and demeanor
- Strong ability to work with others and supervisors in a collaborative, team environment.
- Excellent time management, interpersonal, verbal and written communications, decision-making, and organization skills
- Able to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and extended hours as needed
- Minimum physical requirements: able to travel to and gain access to various areas of the ballpark for prolonged periods of time during games and events; able to lift and transport up to 25 pounds
- As a condition of employment, the job candidate(s) must successfully complete a post-offer, pre-employment background check and drug screening.
To apply, please complete the application that can be found here.
The San Diego Padres are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The content in this posting was created and provided solely by the San Diego Padres.
Meg is the managing editor of FanGraphs, the host of FanGraphs Audio, and the co-co-host of Effectively Wild. Her work has previously appeared at Baseball Prospectus, Lookout Landing, and Just A Bit Outside.