Position: Research and Development Intern
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
The Tampa Bay Rays are in search of their next Research and Development Intern. Their R&D group helps shape their Baseball Operations decision-making processes through the analysis and interpretation of data. They are seeking those with a passion for baseball and a desire to contribute through mathematics, data analysis and computation. Their next intern will be an intellectual contributor who can work both individually and collaboratively, come up with interesting research questions to explore, find ways to answer those questions with the data at their disposal, communicate the results of their research, and work to apply their research outcomes to improve how the Rays organization operates. The Rays want to work with people who care about being a good teammate, want to make a positive impact on their organization, have an innovative spirit, and will explore new ways to make the Rays better. Does this describe you?
- Develop strong skills in statistical modeling and quantitative analysis of a variety of data sources, for the purpose of player evaluation, player development and strategic decision-making
- Learn methods for communicating complex research findings to a variety of Baseball Operations audiences
- Design research inquiries with the potential to yield immediately actionable findings within the Rays organization
- Work collaboratively with and assist other members of the department with your areas of expertise
- Collect in-game data to support operational needs of the department
- Ad hoc research and analysis in support of general Baseball Operations tasks
- A solid foundation in mathematics, physics, statistics, computer science, engineering and/or related fields
- Advanced computational skills
- Experience with R, Python, and/or Stan preferred
- Experience solving complex problems
- Creativity to discover new avenues of research
To apply, please visit this site and complete the online application.
This position is paid.
The content in this posting was created and provided solely by the Tampa Bay Rays.
Meg is the managing editor of FanGraphs, the host of FanGraphs Audio, and the co-co-host of Effectively Wild. Her work has appeared at Baseball Prospectus, Lookout Landing, and Just A Bit Outside.