Position: Software Engineer
Location: Detroit, MI
The Detroit Tigers are currently seeking a Software Engineer. This role will be responsible for development and maintenance of software projects within Baseball Operations. This position will report to the Sr. Software Engineer, Baseball Operations.
- Perform general development and maintenance tasks for the upkeep of internally developed software products.
- Use modern software techniques and best practices in all parts of the software life cycle.
- Provide feedback, and guide project work conducted by external consultants.
- Support the integration of baseball analysis into our proprietary tools and applications.
- Provide coverage for the maintenance of software tools for other developers as situations arise.
- Assist with the design and development of new software products.
- Monitor, identify and recommend new or emerging techniques, technologies, and algorithms.
- Other projects as directed the Baseball Operations leadership team.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, similar technical field of study or equivalent real-time experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge in developing in a Web-based object-oriented product environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge in working with medium-to-large scale relational databases.
- Ability to work in all phases of the product lifecycle, from requirements gathering to design, testing, and implementation.
- Demonstrated experience with UI/UX design.
- Ability to learn new technologies and techniques as necessary.
- Familiarity with the sport of baseball, baseball-specific data, modern statistical techniques, and sabermetric analysis.
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction.
- Demonstrated project management, problem-solving, and teaching abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate difficult and complex concepts to colleagues possessing a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience or knowledge in any of the following technologies are a plus:
- Spring applications
- Angular JS – Version 1.x
- Angular 2+
- Demonstrated knowledge of .NET technologies.
- Office environment
- Occasional evening, weekend, and holiday hours may be required
Please apply here.
Meg is the managing editor of FanGraphs and the host of FanGraphs Audio. Her work has appeared at Baseball Prospectus, Lookout Landing and Just A Bit Outside.