Position: Software Engineer
Location: Detroit, MI
The Detroit Tigers are currently seeking a Software Engineer. This role will be responsible for development and maintenance of software projects within Baseball Operations. This position will report to the Sr. Software Engineer, Baseball Operations.
- Perform general development and maintenance tasks for the upkeep of internally developed software products.
- Use modern software techniques and best practices in all parts of the software life cycle.
- Provide feedback, and guide project work conducted by external consultants.
- Support the integration of baseball analysis into our proprietary tools and applications.
- Provide coverage for the maintenance of software tools for other developers as situations arise.
- Assist with the design and development of new software products.
- Monitor, identify and recommend new or emerging techniques, technologies, and algorithms.
- Other projects as directed the Baseball Operations leadership team.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, similar technical field of study or equivalent real-time experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge in developing in a Web-based object-oriented product environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge in working with medium-to-large scale relational databases.
- Ability to work in all phases of the product lifecycle, from requirements gathering to design, testing, and implementation.
- Demonstrated experience with UI/UX design.
- Ability to learn new technologies and techniques as necessary.
- Familiarity with the sport of baseball, baseball-specific data, modern statistical techniques, and sabermetric analysis.
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction.
- Demonstrated project management, problem-solving, and teaching abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate difficult and complex concepts to colleagues possessing a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience or knowledge in any of the following technologies are a plus:
- Spring applications
- Angular JS – Version 1.x
- Angular 2+
- Demonstrated knowledge of .NET technologies.
- Office environment
- Occasional evening, weekend, and holiday hours may be required
Please apply here.
Meg is the managing editor of FanGraphs, the host of FanGraphs Audio, and the co-co-host of Effectively Wild. Her work has previously appeared at Baseball Prospectus, Lookout Landing, and Just A Bit Outside.