Position: Data Engineer, Baseball Strategy Office
Location: Sendai, Japan
The Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles of NPB are seeking a data engineer to join the Baseball Strategy Office. This position will assist in building an analytic system to:
- Generate new insights
- Automate existing reports
- Allow wider audience to reach data
- Integrate new data sources
A successful candidate will be an excellent communicator and problem solver who will communicate closely with coaches and players to develop and productize new ideas on a regular basis. The candidate will also have a user-first mindset and will be able to put the team first in a demanding environment.
- Assist in expansion of internal analysis and report generation system
- Design and experiment with new ideas and analytical methods
- Generate effective and easy-to-interpret output
- Assist in guaranteeing the quality of data
- Design database to integrate new data sources
- Bachelor’s degree in fields such as statistics, computer science, engineering or mathematics
- 3-5 years experience working in a technology, analytical or product-oriented environment
- Knowledge of Python/R/SQL
- Strong communication skills (knowledge of Japanese language is preferred, but not required)
- Experience living overseas is preferred
- Having previously built, and be able to show, an end-to-end product or analytical output
Annual renewable contract
Please send your resume and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meg is the managing editor of FanGraphs, the host of FanGraphs Audio, and the co-co-host of Effectively Wild. Her work has previously appeared at Baseball Prospectus, Lookout Landing, and Just A Bit Outside.