Below you’ll find a roundup of notable moves from the past few days, as well as future expected moves and a Minor League Report, which includes a list of recent major league debuts, and top prospect promotions. For this column, any lineup regulars, starting pitchers, or late-inning relievers are considered “notable,” meaning that middle relievers, long relievers, and bench players are excluded. You can always find a full list of updated transactions here.
8/4/19: C Willson Contreras (strained hamstring) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 3.
Contreras will likely be out until early September. Victor Caratini, who has an .803 OPS in 140 plate appearances, will be the starting catcher with Taylor Davis serving as his backup. Nick Hundley and Jonathan Lucroy are free agents who the Cubs could consider signing.
Ryan Goins will be the starting third baseman while Moncada is out. The 31-year-old journeyman has 15 hits in 62 at-bats with two homers, five doubles, and nine walks since the White Sox called him up.
8/1/19: OF Aristides Aquino has contract purchased from minors.
The 25-year-old had only one big league plate appearance prior to this well-deserved promotion (.992 OPS, 28 HR in AAA), but he’s expected to get a long look in the Reds’ starting outfield. After going 0-for-6 with three strikeouts in his first two games, he has three hits and a walk in his last four plate appearances, including a home run.
8/3/19: OF David Dahl (sprained ankle) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 3.
His injury looked much worse than it was, so it will be great news if the 25-year-old All-Star returns any time before the end of the season. Raimel Tapia, Garrett Hampson, and Yonathan Daza are expected to fill in for Dahl.
8/1/19: OF Travis Demeritte has contract purchased from minors.
7/30/19: C Jake Rogers has contract purchased from minors.
7/30/19: OF Christin Stewart (concussion) placed on 7-Day IL, retroactive to July 30.
Rogers had a pair of singles in his major league debut, while Demeritte, acquired from the Braves at the trade deadline, tripled and walked twice in his first game as a big leaguer.
8/5/19: 2B Isan Diaz recalled from Triple-A.
8/5/19: OF Lewis Brinson recalled from Triple-A.
8/5/19: 1B Neil Walker (sprained finger) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 4.
8/5/19: OF Cesar Puello (strained hip flexor) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 5.
Batting second and playing second base in his major league debut, the 23-year-old Diaz homered in his third at-bat against Mets ace Jacob deGrom. Diaz and Brinson, both acquired in the Christian Yelich prior to the 2018 season, are expected to play regularly down the stretch.
8/1/19: OF Trent Grisham has contract purchased from minors.
The addition of Grisham, who has three hits, including a home run, in his first eight big league at-bats, gives the Brewers a chance to rest the 35-year-old Ryan Braun more often or allow him to play first base occasionally with Jesus Aguilar traded away at the deadline.
Buxton has landed on the injured list for the third time since June 18, which has put a damper on an otherwise terrific season. The 25-year-old is only expected to miss a couple of weeks, though. Max Kepler will play center field, while Jake Cave and Marwin Gonzalez figure to see the majority of starts in right field.
New York Mets
8/3/19: 2B Robinson Cano (strained hamstring) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 5.
The Mets are actually making some noise in the playoff race, having moved within three games of a Wild Card spot, and the 36-year-old Cano was a big reason with nine hits in his last 15 at-bats, including four doubles and a homer. Now, he’ll watch from the sidelines as his team continues to try and recover from what had been a very disappointing season.
New York Yankees
8/4/19: OF Aaron Hicks (strained flexor) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 4.
8/3/19: 1B Edwin Encarnacion (fractured wrist) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 3.
8/2/19: OF Brett Gardner activated from 10-Day IL.
7/31/19: 1B Luke Voit (sports hernia) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to July 31.
The hits keep coming for the Yankees, both in a good way and a bad way. While they’re one of the best offenses in baseball, they now have 16 players on the injured list. Gio Urshela, Mike Tauchman, and Cameron Maybin will continue to play key roles.
8/3/19: OF Stephen Piscotty activated from 10-Day IL.
7/31/19: OF Ramon Laureano (stress reaction in shin) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to July 29.
7/31/19: C Josh Phegley (thumb contusion) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to July 29.
The A’s will miss Laureano’s defense in center field while he’s out, but there’s not much drop-off at the plate with Mark Canha having one of his best seasons (.901 OPS, 17 HR in 292 plate appearances.)
8/4/19: 3B Maikel Franco optioned to Triple-A.
With the acquisition of Corey Dickerson and rookie Adam Haseley playing well, the Phillies felt comfortable enough to move Scott Kingery to third base and demote the struggling Franco to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
San Francisco Giants
8/4/19: 3B Evan Longoria activated from 10-Day IL.
8/2/19: OF Steven Duggar recalled from Triple-A.
8/1/19: OF Alex Dickerson (strained oblique) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to July 31.
Duggar had a single and a double in his first game back from a one-and-a-half month stint in Triple-A.
St. Louis Cardinals
8/4/19: 3B Matt Carpenter activated from 10-Day IL.
8/3/19: OF Marcell Ozuna activated from 10-Day IL.
8/3/19: OF Tyler O’Neill (strained wrist) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 1.
Kiner-Falefa, who started 30 games at catcher prior to a demotion two months ago, takes over as the starting third baseman.
Notable Moves Involving Part-Time Players
- BAL: OF Dwight Smith Jr. (strained calf) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to July 30.
- CHC: INF Robel Garcia optioned to Triple-A.
- CHW: C Welington Castillo placed on Family Medical Emergency list.
- CIN: INF/OF Derek Dietrich (shoulder inflammation) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 5.
- CLE: 1B/OF Jake Bauers and OF Greg Allen optioned to Triple-A.
- PIT: INF Jung Ho Kang designated for assignment.
- TBR: 1B Nate Lowe optioned to Triple-A.
- WSN: INF Asdrubal Cabrera agreed to MLB contract.
Gausman didn’t have a long enough leash on a first place team, so he’ll have to figure things out elsewhere. In the meantime, Foltynewicz, who had a 3.86 ERA in 10 Triple-A starts, gets another chance to prove that he can bounce back from his early season struggles.
8/3/19: Cole Hamels activated from 10-Day IL.
The 35-year-old lefty pitched five shutout innings in his return, leading the Cubs to a 4-1 win over the division-rival Brewers.
Making his first start in nearly two years, Salazar’s results were encouraging (4 IP, 2 ER, 4 H, 3 BB, 2 K) but he went right back on the injured list with a strained groin.
Los Angeles Angels
8/5/19: Patrick Sandoval has contract purchased from minors.
8/4/19: Griffin Canning (elbow inflammation) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 1.
8/4/19: Felix Peña (torn ACL) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 3.
The 22-year-old Sandoval isn’t having a good season (5.71 ERA between AAA/AA), but the Angels are running out of options. He did, however, pitch 5 2/3 scoreless innings in his last start and had a breakout season in 2018 (2.06 ERA between AAA/AA/A+.)
Los Angeles Dodgers
8/2/19: Hyun-Jin Ryu (neck soreness) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 1.
8/2/19: Dustin May has contract purchased from minors.
8/2/19: Tony Gonsolin recalled from Triple-A.
8/5/19: Zach Davies (back spasms) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 3.
8/5/19: Robert Dugger has contract purchased from minors.
Dugger allowed six earned runs in five innings with four walks and three strikeouts in his major league debut.
For the second time this season, Smeltzer was called upon after a Pineda injury and responded with six shutout innings.
San Francisco Giants
7/31/19: Dereck Rodriguez recalled from Triple-A.
Rodriguez was optioned to Triple-A after allowing seven runs (four earned runs) and eight hits in his latest start.
Tampa Bay Rays
8/5/19: Yonny Chirinos (middle finger inflammation) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 5.
Toronto Blue Jays
8/1/19: Trent Thornton activated from 10-Day IL.
7/31/19: Ryan Borucki (elbow inflammation) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to July 28.
7/31/19: Sean Reid-Foley recalled from Triple-A.
Expected Future Moves
- BAL: John Means will be activated from 10-Day IL on Wednesday August 7.
- CHW: Hector Santiago will have contract purchased from minors on Tuesday August 6.
- PIT: Steven Brault will be activated from 10-Day IL on Tuesday August 6.
8/1/19: Shane Greene confirmed as the closer.
Greene blew a save in his Braves debut and picked up the loss (IP, 3 ER) in his second appearance.
8/5/19: Craig Kimbrel (knee inflammation) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 4.
Manager Joe Maddon says he’ll go with a closer committee. Steve Cishek is the leading candidate for save chances with Rowan Wick (6 IP, 0 R, H, 3 BB, 9 K in last seven appearances) and under-the-radar option.
8/3/19: Wade Davis removed from closer’s role.
Scott Oberg, who has a 1.53 ERA and 9.2 K/9 in 46 appearances, will be the Rockies’ closer. He picked up his fourth save of the season on Friday.
7/30/19: Ryan Pressly (knee soreness) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to July 27.
8/5/19: Ryne Stanek activated from 10-Day IL.
Pitching mostly as an “opener” with the Rays, Stanek will likely return to a traditional late-inning reliever role and has as good a chance as anyone to emerge as the Marlins’ closer.
8/2/19: Adam Morgan (strained flexor) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 1.
8/4/19: Roenis Elias (strained hamstring) placed on 10-Day IL, retroactive to August 4.
Minor League Report
Major League Debuts (July 29-August 4)
- Jake Rogers, C, Detroit Tigers: 2-for-4, RBI 7/26/19
- Bryan Abreu, RP, Houston Astros: IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K 7/31/19
- Dustin May, SP, Los Angeles Dodgers: 5.2 IP, 3 ER, 9 H, 0 BB, 3 K, L 8/2/19
- Kyle Keller, RP, Miami Marlins: 1.2 IP, ER, H, BB, K 8/4/19
- Trent Grisham, CF, Milwaukee Brewers: 0-for-3, RBI 8/1/19
- Sam Selman, RP, San Francisco Giants: IP, ER, H, BB, K 8/1/19
- Reggie McClain, RP, Seattle Mariners: IP, 3 ER, 2 H, BB, 2 K 8/4/19
- Emmanuel Clase, RP, Texas Rangers: 1.2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, BB, K 8/4/19
- Bo Bichette, SS, Toronto Blue Jays: 1-for-4, K 7/29/19
- Yennsy Diaz, RP, Toronto Blue Jays: 0.2 IP, 2 ER, H, 4 BB, 0 K 8/4/19
Promotions (July 5-August 4): Top 130 Prospects (pre-season rank)
- Bo Bichette, SS, Toronto Blue Jays #9 MLB 7/29/19
- Jo Adell, OF, Los Angeles Angels #11 Triple-A Salt Lake 8/1/19
- Brendan McKay, SP/DH, Tampa Bay Rays #14 MLB 7/19/19
- Keibert Ruiz, C, Los Angeles Dodgers #15 Triple-A Oklahoma City 7/21/19
- Cristian Pache, OF, Atlanta Braves #19 Triple-A Gwinnett 8/5/19
- Dustin May, SP, Los Angeles Dodgers #21 MLB 8/2/19
- MacKenzie Gore, SP, San Diego Padres #22 Double-A Amarillo 7/13/19
- Luis Urias, 2B, San Diego Padres #24 MLB 7/20/19
- Nick Madrigal, 2B, Chicago White Sox #32 Triple-A Charlotte 8/1/19
- Ian Anderson, SP, Atlanta Braves #38 Triple-A Gwinnett 8/5/19
- Kyle Wright, RP, Atlanta Braves #39 MLB 7/18/19
- A.J. Puk, SP, Oakland Athletics #40 Triple-A Las Vegas 7/23/19
- Luis Robert, OF, Chicago White Sox #43 Triple-A Charlotte 7/8/19
- Drew Waters, OF, Atlanta Braves #49 Triple-A Gwinnett 8/5/19
- Jesus Sanchez, OF, Tampa Bay Ray #54 Triple-A Durham 7/11/19
- Nolan Jones, 3B, Cleveland Indians #65 Double-A Akron 7/8/19
- Spencer Howard, SP, Philadelphia Phillies #67 Double-A Reading 7/26/19
- Bryse Wilson, SP, Atlanta Braves #72 MLB 7/16/19
- Jonathan India, 3B, Cincinnati Reds #75 Double-A Chattanooga 7/22/19
- Jose Suarez, SP, Los Angeles Angels #79 MLB 7/25/19
- Will Smith, C, Los Angeles Dodgers #80 MLB 7/26/19
- Andrew Knizner, C, St. Louis Cardinals #82 MLB 7/11/19
- Adrian Morejon, RP, San Diego Padres #86 MLB 7/21/19
- Trevor Larnach, OF, Minnesota Twins #99 Double-A Pensacola 7/16/19
- Isan Diaz, 2B, Miami Marlins #104 MLB 8/5/19
- Josh Naylor, OF, San Diego Padres #124 MLB 7/29/19
- Michel Baez, RP, San Diego Padres #129 MLB 7/21/19